db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Copyrights
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 18:18:20 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>>Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>>>
>>>One clear issue that no-one has mentioned. Based upon the guidelines at
>>>http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html we should no longer commit
>>>any contribution that has a copyright statement in it. E.g. a new file
>>>should not be accepted if it has a copyright statement in it. The owner
>>>of the copyright needs to remove the statement, so it's not as easy as
>>>the committer simply deleting it.
>>

>>The DB PMC can approve committing a contribution with a copyright
>>statement in it.
>
> Where does it say that on the policy page?
>
> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html

Not on that page.

I have that understand from posts on legal-discuss regarding the source
header changes.

First by this post by Roy Fielding [1]:

   On Jun 5, 2006, at 11:04 AM, Stephen McConnell ((DPML)) wrote:
   > In addition to the above I would like to know the ASF position
   > concerning
   > potentially new contributions to the ASF associated to known and
   > reachable
   > contributors via existing copyright assertions who are unwilling to
   > acquiesce to the removal of copyright statements from existing
   > documents.

   The law does not allow us to remove or alter the copyright notice
   without the copyright owner's consent.  When new contributions are
   made, the responsible PMC decides whether the contribution is in a
   form that they deem acceptable, and either accepts it or rejects it.

And this post, also by Roy Fielding [2]:

   On Jun 5, 2006, at 3:38 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
   > Is a copyright entry acceptable only for an initial contribution,
   > and not
   > thereafter?  Or what?  And, yes, I understand that PMCs can make
   > decisions,
   > but we really ought to have a policy to prevent things turning into
   > copywrong.

   A PMC must vote to accept the contribution. The PMC can choose not to
   accept the contribution based on anything it doesn't like.  If we make
   a special rule based on all of the possible anti-social behaviors
   that might lead to chaos, then our PMCs are never going to learn how
   to govern themselves.  We only need ASF-wide rules for the things that
   are required of the ASF as a whole.

Anything that does not match the documented guideline should be popped
to the PMC. And, if there's any doubt about what the PMC can and cannot
do, the PMC itself can get further guidance.

 -jean

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200606.mbox/%3c790B35FB-A5E1-45A7-800F-5ED790A15DDE@gbiv.com%3e

[2]