db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Copyrights
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 18:07:21 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>
>>Rick Hillegas wrote:

>>>3) Are there other unclear issues?
>>
>>One clear issue that no-one has mentioned. Based upon the guidelines at
>>http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html we should no longer commit
>>any contribution that has a copyright statement in it. E.g. a new file
>>should not be accepted if it has a copyright statement in it. The owner
>>of the copyright needs to remove the statement, so it's not as easy as
>>the committer simply deleting it.
>

> The DB PMC can approve committing a contribution with a copyright
> statement in it.

Where does it say that on the policy page?

http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html

All I see is

<quote>
If the source file is submitted with a copyright notice included in it,
the copyright owner (or owner's agent) must either:

   1. remove such notices, or
   2. move them to the NOTICE file associated with each applicable
project release, or
   3. provide written permission for the ASF to make such removal or
relocation of the notices.
</quote>

>From the discussions I've looked at in legal-discuss archives, it's very
clear that the policy for *new* files coming into the ASF that they must
not contain a copyright statement.

Not this is separate from existing copyright statements in existing
files in ASF svn respositories.

Dan.