db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Copyrights
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 17:48:00 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> I hope that David can commit the work for DERBY-1377 before we cut the
> 10.2 branch next week. Unfortunately, I think David is stuck because
> it's unclear what's required. Here's where I think this issue stands:
>
> UNRESOLVED ISSUES:
>
> 1) Do we need to add license headers to our build scripts, property
> files, README files, and other human-readable files which currently
> don't have copyright notices? Or are these files excluded under the
> rubric of "file without any degree of creativity"? Does some other
> escape-clause exlude these files?
>
> 2) Should the IBM copyrights migrate from the COPYRIGHT to the NOTICE
> file? If so, who is authorized to move these copyrights?

Yes. I will move them and remove the COPYRIGHT FILE. The rule for
copyright statments is the owner has to remove them or give permission
for them to be removed.

> 3) Are there other unclear issues?

One clear issue that no-one has mentioned. Based upon the guidelines at
http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html we should no longer commit
any contribution that has a copyright statement in it. E.g. a new file
should not be accepted if it has a copyright statement in it. The owner
of the copyright needs to remove the statement, so it's not as easy as
the committer simply deleting it.

I don't think there are any other issues outstanding.

Dan.