db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using StorageFactory to create temporary files
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 14:41:18 GMT
Anurag shekhar wrote:
> Let me explain why I need a temporary file. I need a storage where
> blob/clob can be stored before writing into the table. As the size of
> lob can go upto 2gb its not possible to keep it in memory. I am using
> the temporary file to keep the byte/string in case the the size grows
> more than 4k.
>
> So the temporary file will be created and accessed from the jdbc driver.
> I decided to use StorageFactory because it already have the nessasary
> permission for disk i/o. In case derby is running on a special storage,
> the StorageFactory will be aware of it and will be able to create
> temporary file for that device.

But there is no mechansim on the client to define one is running on "a
special storage", are you going to define one?

In this case it seems using the simple java.io.File.createTempFile()
will solve all of your issues. What benefit do you get from using
StorageFactory and its *current* set of implementations?

Dan.