db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Huh? Changing eol-style causes the entire file to be changed?
Date Wed, 02 Aug 2006 00:06:00 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:
> This commit message is very disconcerting.  I specifically removed my
> patch-specific versions of these output files, did an svn update,
> changed the *eol-style property only* and did an svn diff to make sure
> that the only thing that was modified was the eol-style property, which
> svn diff very confidently reported to me as the only change.
>
> Yet, when I committed, each file is modified globally to use UNIX
> instead of Windows carriage-returns.
>
> Can someone who knows svn better than I explain what happened?

I have also been caught off guard and disarmed -- and it has made me
careful to not mix content changes and eol-style changes in one commit. :-)

And I don't have a complete explanation, but here's some tidbits I have
observed.

For svn to be able to commit on your particular platform with eol-style
set to native, the file must be in the format of that platform. For
example, if on my linux machine I edit a file that has DOS line-endings,
I have found I can't just set the eol-style property; I get an error
back from svn when I try to commit the changes. I run 'unix2dos' on that
file, which does change all the line endings. So I try to do that
conversion and eol-style setting first, then modify the content and
commit that.

It's possible that I could avoid the file conversion using a Windows
machine to set eol-style to native.

Did you happen to do a 'dos2unix' or 'unix2dos' on the files for which
you set the property?

 -jean