db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From <home4...@pacbell.net>
Subject Integrating a JUnit test into the test harness was: Re: [Db-derby Wiki] Update of "IntroToJUnit" by SusanCline
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2006 22:25:06 GMT
As Dan mentioned below my example about integrating a JUnit test into the Derby test harness
was not accurate.  I've changed the wiki page IntroToJUnit to point to the other JUnit wiki
pages which are more relevant to Derby for information about this.

However, I've spent some time trying to get my JUnit test that runs fine in stand-alone mode
to be integrated into the test harness.

To be clear what I mean about stand-alone mode, I am successful with these two invocations
of the MathTrigFunctionsTest JUnit class:

C:\derby_src\development_branch\trunk>java junit.textui.TestRunner org.apache.de
rbyTesting.functionTests.tests.lang.MathTrigFunctionsTest
Time: 21.231
OK (16 tests)

C:\derby_src\development_branch\trunk>java org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests
.harness.RunTest lang/MathTrigFunctionsTest.junit
*** Start: MathTrigFunctionsTest jdk1.4.2_09 2006-08-30 14:24:08 ***
*** End:   MathTrigFunctionsTest jdk1.4.2_09 2006-08-30 14:24:48 ***

I'm not sure if I have enough time to get this working, or if someone else can help.  Here's
what I've
done so far, maybe someone has an idea of what needs to be done to get this to work.

1) Created a class that extends the BaseJDBCTestCase class, which is in the
    org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.lang package.
    (I've removed the private Connection variable per Dan's suggestion below.)

2) I created a suite() method shown below:

 public static Test suite() {
  TestSuite suite = new TestSuite();
  suite.addTestSuite(MathTrigFunctionsTest.class);
  TestSetup wrapper = new BaseJDBCTestSetup(suite) {
   public void setUp() throws Exception {
        // initialize variables
   }
   protected void tearDown() throws Exception {
    super.tearDown();
   }
  };
  return wrapper;
 }

3) I looked at the _Suite.java file in the lang package.  From what I can tell this adds the
suites from LangScripts class' suite.

4) Looking at the LangScripts class it runs only SQL tests.  Just for kicks I added my JUnit
test class name to the LangScripts tests to be run to see what would happen;

 private static final String[] SQL_LANGUAGE_TESTS = {
  "case",
  "constantExpression",
  "MathTrigFunctionsTest"
  };

5) When I tried to run it using this command:

C:\derby_src\development_branch\trunk>java org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunSuite
derbylang

The _Script test failed, predictably since my test was not an SQL test, with this output in
the derbylang_diff.txt file:

********* Diff file derbylang/derbylang/_Suite.diff
*** Start: _Suite jdk1.4.2_09 derbylang:derbylang 2006-08-30 15:14:30 ***
0 add
> ...F.....
> There was 1 failure:
> 1) MathTrigFunctionsTest(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.lang.LangScripts)junit.framework.AssertionFailedError:
SQL script missing: org/apache/derbyTesting/functionTests/tests/lang/MathTrigFunctionsTest.sql
> FAILURES!!!
> Tests run: 8,  Failures: 1,  Errors: 0
Test Failed.
*** End:   _Suite jdk1.4.2_09 derbylang:derbylang 2006-08-30 15:14:57 ***

Does anyone know what I have to do to get my MathTrigFunctionsTest to run as part of the
test harness using the _Suite class?

Thanks,

Susan