db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: enabling tracing info while running tests
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 08:06:10 GMT
Mayuresh Nirhali <Mayuresh.Nirhali@Sun.COM> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to get tracing info for a test run in standalone
> manner. The test runs fine, but I do not see the traceFile being
> created.
>
> The command I use is as below,
>

> java -cp $CLASSPATH -Dframework=DerbyNetClient
> -DtestSpecialProps=derby.infolog.append=true^derby.drda.traceFile=./trace.out^derby.drda.traceLevel=org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDataSource.TRACE_PROTOCOL_FLOWS
> org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunTest
> jdbcapi/parameterMapping.java
>
> Is there anything that I am missing ??
>
> What is the best way to generate tracing data for tests ??

Hi Mayuresh,

derby.drda.traceFile should be passed to the network server process,
but I'm not sure whether testSpecialProps does that. By the way, I
don't think there is a derby.drda.traceFile property, but there is a
derby.drda.traceDirectory.

What I usually do when I need server-side tracing of a test, is
starting the network server with the required parameters before
running the test. Since a server is already running, the test harness
won't start a new one.

To enable client-side tracing, you need to modify the connection
URL. For parameterMapping.java, I think you can do that by adding
"ij.database=jdbc:derby:wombat;create=true;traceFile=trace.out" to
parameterMapping_app.properties.

--
Knut Anders