db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Gokul Soundararajan <gokul.soun...@gmail.com>
Subject CacheManager create() semantics
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2006 19:16:38 GMT
Hi all,

I'm implementing a new replacement algorithm (clock-pro) for the CacheManager.
In this algorithm, there is a concept of a history item. Basically, after an
eviction, the algorithm remembers the page id for some time. I was wondering on
how this affects the semantics of create().

Just to refresh, in Clock, create() creates a new entry and adds to the cache.
But, it throws an exception if the cache already contains the item. In my
implementation, the new item may not exist, exist, or exist as a history item.
Should I throw an exception if I find it as a history item?

Thanks,

Gokul