db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Sanket Sharma" <sanketsha...@gmail.com>
Subject How to add a new service to Derby?
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2006 19:11:16 GMT
Hi,

I was tinkering with Derby code for some time with JMX in my mind. I
was wondering if there is a "recommended way" of adding new services
to derby?

The code documentation in Monitor.java says describes following ways
to boot services (please correct me if I'm wrong):

1) having a property in the application properties or the system (JVM) set.

	derby.service.service name=class name
	e.g.
2) Added to the properties automatically by the class
org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver e.g.
derby.service.service name=class name

Does this imply that If I have to add JMX as non persistan service,
all I need to do is:
1)Create my java files and classes that implement the classes
2) Assuming my class name is SystemManager,
 java -Dderby.service.systemmanager = SystemManager?

3) Make sure SystemManager.class and related modules are in my classpath?

or alternatively, add the same identifier and classname/factory name
to application properties.

Is that really all I need to do? I'm sure I'm missing something there.

Regards,
Sanket