db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Myrna van Lunteren" <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Encoding for test master files.
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 23:15:48 GMT
> I have a new version of my old ijRunner JUnit test class that runs ij
> scripts within JUnit and compares the output etc. I'll commit in a short
> while, though it won't be in use yet, it's still a work in progress.
>
> One are I need to address is the encoding of the output, what is the
> default encoding for the master files? I think looking at DERBY-683 work
> was done to allow test specific encoding, but I'm just current looking
> at handling the default.
>
> Any ideas?
> Dan.

I am getting terribly confused on this as I'm trying to answer, so bear with me.
I think the answer is UTF-8.
DERBY-244 is relevant in this area and maybe DERBY-658.

With DERBY-658 we made the tests create output in local encoding. We
read in the master in UTF-8 but have the test convert this to a local
encoded copy in the .tmpmstr file, which is the one used in the
diffing.
So, I think this means the masters are expected to be UTF-8.

If there's a difference in a test creators' machine-dependent output
and UTF-8 output, the harness has a flag to create a .utf8out file
that's to be the actual master.
For most tests and the more common systems, assuming we're running
(and that's forced now in the harness) in US-English locale, the
output with the system's default encoding (i.e. ISO-5889-1 on Unix,
Cp1252 on Windwos) is close enough to UTF-8 that we don't need to
worry.

I haven't looked at Knut Anders' patch for DERBY-244 in detail yet,
planned to do it today but other things took longer - but looks like
it's going to force i18n tests to UTF-8 encoding.

Does this help? Is there a specific test that causes concern?

Myrna