db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Choice of JMX implementations
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2006 19:16:08 GMT
If the goal is to repackage any of these, I'm not sure that will be
possible with any of the following, except for Apache Commons
Modelling, but is that actually an implementation?

For information on compatibility of other open source licenses with
the ASL, see: http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html

On 7/13/06, Sanket Sharma <sanketsharma@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just wanted an opinion about JMX implementation to use for Derby. I
> have listed the better known implementations below with my comments:
>
>         1. For Sun JDK/JVM prior to version 1.5 Sun's references implemenation is
>             available as a seperate jar download. Applications running on JVM 1.3
>             and 1.4 will need to download install this jar.

We can't repackage this jar, as the terms of Sun's BCL are
incompatible with the ASL. But perhaps we could detect its presence
and start the JMX services if an implementation is present.

>          2. XMOJO Project

This is GPL licensed. Currently ASF policy is not to redistribute
GPL-licensed jars.

>          3. Apache Commons Modeller framework

Sounds like this would aid your development, but do you still need an
implementation? At any rate, we could repackage it if its needed at
runtime.

>          4. MX4J

This has a modified BSD license with an advertising clause, and a
restriction to downstream projects on naming. Not that we'd ever name
our project MX4J, but it's an extra restriction that isn't in the ASL,
so we might need to get a determination from legal-discuss on whether
this is acceptable to redistribute.

andrew