db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: missing components
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:46:53 GMT
> I just went through the lists of "Open issues with no Component" and
> "Resolved Issues with no Component" linked from
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyJiraReports. For most of these, I
> hazarded a guess about the correct component. However, a few still
> puzzle me:
>
> 625, 1480 - These appear to be JVM/JIT issues. We don't have a component
> for these.
>
> 86 - This has to do with changing Cloudscape references to say Derby
> instead.
>
> I would appreciate the community's advice:
>
> 1) Should we create a new component for JVM/JIT issues?

I don't think so. JVM/JIT issues are not Derby problems, per se, they
are a problem for the JVM vendor. We may want to work around them, in
which case the component assigned should be the area of the code where
the workaround is made, if any. I would say assign 625 to Test (or
Regression Test Failure), and I think that 1480 can be closed as
Invalid. I'll take care of that, as I want to ask the reporter if this
is actually a reproducible problem and whether or not he tried running
with the JIT off, and direct him to filing a bug report with his JVM
vendor.

> 2) What should we do with issue 86? Does this deserve a new component?
> Should we create a catch-all Miscellaneous component for these outliers?

For lack of a better component, you could assign it to the Unknown
component, it's the current catchall for things that don't fit into
any of the other components.

Does everything need to have a component? Clearly if there started to
be many of the same type of issue, we would want to create a new
category, but if it's a one-off sort of thing, is there a problem with
leaving things with no component assigned, or assigning it to the
Unknown component if it doesn't fit into any other current category?

andrew