db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Removing an archived fix version from the fix version list of an issue
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 01:15:07 GMT
On 7/10/06, Deepa Remesh <dremesh@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to remove the fix version (10.1.2.3) from one of the
> issues (DERBY-1005) as the full fix for it did not get into 10.1.2.3.
> But when I try to edit the issue, I see that 10.1.2.3 is showing up as
> an archived fix version and I do not see an option to remove it. Does
> anyone know how this can be done?

I'm glad you brought this up.

I tried archiving the snapshot versions because they were starting to
really pile up. Archiving them has some unintended side-effects, and
not good ones. It is not possible to search on an archived version
because you can no longer pick it from the list of candidates to
search. And as you've discovered, it can no longer be edited out
either.

I think that what needs to happen is once a version has been released,
all of its snapshot versions should be merged into the release
versions. This cleans up the list a great deal, and makes searching
easier and work as expected.

The other option would be simply to not track snapshot versions at
all, but mark fixins as the next release that will contain them. But,
if we also take Kathy's suggestion of only marking the lowest FixIn,
what do you do if the lowest version it is fixed in is never actually
released?

So, I think tracking snapshots while development is occurring, but
merging them to the release version for searching purposes to keep
things tidy is the way to go. Once there's an official release, we're
not likely to see any bug reports against snapshots so I'm not sure
there's any need to track them past an official release.

Thoughts?

andrew