db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Jira field definition clarification for Derby
Date Sun, 30 Jul 2006 22:39:44 GMT
Recently there have been several discussions about the meaning of many
of the Jira fields.
Jira is a communication tool so I think it is very important that the
question asked by each field be exactly the same for each of us, even
though our own personal answers may indeed differ. I think we have
reached consensus on most.  Here is the summary of my understanding of
the fields and what they mean:

Type:  The type of issue. We use the Jira definitions:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/ShowConstantsHelp.jspa?decorator=popup#IssueTypes

Assignee - The assignee  is the developer currently working on the
issue.  Developers should unassign themselves when not actively working
on issues so that others can pick them up.

Component:: Sub-section(s)  of the  project relevant to the issue.
Derby also has two special Components (which I think should be checkboxes)
RegressionTestFailure - A derbyall  or other regression test failure.
It may or may not be a product Bug.
Newcomer - A way to flag issues that might be good candidates for new
developers.

Affects Version - The earliest release where the issue  is known to
exist as shown by sysinfo.
RESOLVE: What should this mean for non-bug issues?

Fix Version  for Closed Issues -
The earliest release where the  fix has been  made and forward ported to
all higher rev maintenance branches and the trunk.
The assumption is that you can move to  the latest of a higher rev
maintenance  branch  and get the fix.  For example  if the current trunk
version is 10.2  and the fix is in 10.0 , but not in 10.1,  the issue
should just be resolved with Fix Version 10.2 and  a comment added for
the special backport. Of course fixes that have not been fixed in the
trunk should not be marked resolved.
(Note: The current practice of marking multiple fix versions creates
problems with release notes and doesn't make sense because  you should
really then mark fixin 10.3, 10.4 etc...)

Fix Version for Open Issues
For assigned issues,  Fix Version is the  release for which  a developer
plans to fix the issue.
For unassigned issues,  Fix version is marked if a fix is considered a
high value fix candidate for the release and could reasonably  be picked
up and  fixed  in time for the release.  See
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/HighValueFixCandidates  for definition
of  a high value fix candidate.

Priority - Priority in Jira means SEVERITY.  We follow the Jira
definitions exactly for bugs.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/ShowConstantsHelp.jspa?decorator=popup#PriorityLevels
RESOLVE: Current priorities do not map well to current priorities.

Urgency -
We currently use the Forrest definitions at:
http://forrest.apache.org/issues.html#urgency

Derby Special Info checkboxes:

Patch Available -  Patch Available is checked when a  contributor would
like a patch to be reviewed.  It may be a complete patch ready for
commit or just a request for early feedback but  comments should
indicate which.   Developers should assign themselves to an issue when
marking patch available.
See http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/PatchAdvice and
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyContributorChecklist.

Regression - The Bug is a Derby *product*  regression.  Some valid
operation using the Derby public interfaces that worked in a previous
version,  works no more.  Even once resolved the Regression checkbox
stays checked.

Existing Application Impact -  This is an issue that may have a negative
impact on existing applications.  Users should be able to query issues
with this  box marked to determine  what issues they might face on
upgrade.  For example, most open regressions have "Existing Application
Impact."  Once they are closed they no longer do.  Some intentional
changes like DERBY-781 may impact existing applications.

Release Note Needed -  This is an issue that requires special attention
in the release notes.

If this looks like a good start at definitions I can put it on the Wiki
and then we can refine.

Thanks

Kathey