db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Satheesh Bandaram <banda...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Availability of grant/revoke for upgraded databases is not dependent on derby.database.sqlAuthorization property *during* upgrade ?
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 17:56:58 GMT
Hi Deepa,

Deepa Remesh wrote:

> I had derived my understanding based on the following statement from
> grant/revoke spec:
> "An extant database may be switched from the legacy authorization
> model to the SQL2003 standard model. This is done by upgrading the
> database and setting derby.database.sqlAuthorization property value to
> "true"."
>
> Re-reading it, I think I had misunderstood it. It may be good to break
> this statement to clearly indicate the separate steps - upgrade and
> setting of the property.

Yes, for an extent database, you have to upgrade the database to 10.2
and then set the sqlAuthorization property as a database property to
turn on SQL authorization. For new databases, there are two ways to turn
on SQL authorization:

   1. Set the property as a system property and then create a database.
      All new databases created with sqlAuthorization set as system
      property would automatically get this property set for them
      permanently.
   2. Create a database first and then set the property as a *database
      *property.

For existing databases, there is only one way to enable SQL
authorization... that is by setting it as a database property.

Guess I will clarify this too. I now have 4 minor updates to make to
spec: 1) Discuss synonyms 2) Talk about revoking column privilege
following table privilege grant 3) Create view issue that Mamta
mentioned and 4) Upgrade clarification.

Satheesh