db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: remaining 10.2 blocker
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2006 20:27:43 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>Rick Hillegas wrote:
>

>>For 10.2, I want to use the priority field to mean what it means in
>>other bug tracking systems: a field which helps engineers figure out
>>what to do next. I would appreciate it if people would use Blocker and
>>Critical to mean, respectively, "priority 1" and "priority 2".
>>

>Hmmm, it would be good to be consistent across all Jira, not have
>specific meanings for 10.2 based upon your goals. The Critical & Blocker
>values do have well described meanings in Jira as severities even in a
>priority field, I think we should stick to that.

I agree that consistency would be good. I can't speak for other Apache
projects, but it is instructive to list all of the Derby JIRAs and then
sort them by priority. As a community we don't seem to consistently
record severity according to the JIRA definitions.

>In an open source project what people work on next is very much related
>to their own hunger, not any single view of what is most important.

This is true too. However, I see great value in being able to signal our
priorities early on. It's good to know well in advance if someone plans
to flunk the release over a particular issue.

>As an example "DERBY-1546 Derby JDBC 4.0 driver returns 3 for JDBC
>driver major version" I would say is not important, I guess you think it
>is important, but we might both agree that it is a "Minor" in Jira
>(minor loss of function, easy workaround).
>
>As for the specific problem I think you were trying to solve, which bugs
>"Kathey would vote -1 on in a release", I hope would it be more of a
>"which bugs would the community consider holding a relase on until they
>were fixed". As Kathey has pointed out, the regression flag being set is
>a good criteria.

It's a very useful field and it captures an issue to which Kathey is
keenly attuned--for which the community should be very grateful. It's
one of many variables which determine bug priority.

>Dan.

I wish I saw more sense in our many, inconsistently used JIRA fields. We
don't have any tools for enforcing consistent use of fields in a single
JIRA, let alone across 1500 bugs. I am very thankful for Kathey's
persistence in bringing more clarity to this muddle.