db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: remaining 10.2 blocker
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2006 19:03:15 GMT
Hi Kathey,

I agree that this is a bit confusing. In other bug tracking systems
which I have used, there is a distinction between the priority and the
severity of a bug. Priority is the field which helps engineers figure
out which bug to tackle next. Severity captures the bug's impact on
customers. The concepts couple in one direction: High severity bugs
generally have high priority. However, the reverse is not necessarily
true: A bug could have high priority because it's low hanging fruit or
very important to a crucial customer, even though the bug does not
cripple the system or corrupt data. Unfortunately, JIRA seems to use one
field to track both facts together. I think that this is a defect in
JIRA. If someone knows how to add a severity field to our bug tracker,
that would be great.

For 10.2, I want to use the priority field to mean what it means in
other bug tracking systems: a field which helps engineers figure out
what to do next. I would appreciate it if people would use Blocker and
Critical to mean, respectively, "priority 1" and "priority 2".

Kathey Marsden wrote:

> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>
>> Hi Kathey,
>>
>> If an issue would cause you to vote -1 on the 10.2 release, please
>> mark the issue as Critical or Blocker.
>

> I am looking now at the known open regressions and am still struggling
> with how to set the priority.  Here is the current list of 4.
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=10594&resolution=-1&customfield_12310090=Regression&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=DESC

> My general feeling on regressions  and the 10.2 release is that:
>
> All known product regressions should be fixed for the release unless
> we have a *very* strong case for introducing a regression into the
> product.  If the community agrees we should introduce the regression,
> there should be a release note with the workaround documented.
>
> I have a hard time mapping this to the  Jira priorities which say:
> Blocker
>    Blocks development and/or testing work, production could not run
> Critical
>    Crashes, loss of data, severe memory leak.
>
> How should I mark priority on these issues?
> A couple of examples:
>
> DERBY-765 : Valid query fails with ERROR X0A00: The select list
> mentions column 'A' twice...
> This is a regression that I think we sadly have to let in but don't
> think we should release 10.2 until this has a comprehensive release
> note and workaround documented.

I have added a release note to this issue.

> DERBY-1554: IDENTITY_VAL_LOCAL() returned value is modified
> incorrectly by a multi-row INSERT statement.
> This is a regression from the fix for DERBY-353.  This one I think
> should definitely be fixed for 10.2

Please adjust this issue to priority 1 or 2, that is, Blocker or Critical.

Regards,
-Rick