db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: remaining 10.2 blocker
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2006 18:04:42 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> Hi Kathey,
>
> If an issue would cause you to vote -1 on the 10.2 release, please
> mark the issue as Critical or Blocker.

I am looking now at the known open regressions and am still struggling
with how to set the priority.  Here is the current list of 4.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=10594&resolution=-1&customfield_12310090=Regression&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=DESC

My general feeling on regressions  and the 10.2 release is that:

All known product regressions should be fixed for the release unless we
have a *very* strong case for introducing a regression into the
product.  If the community agrees we should introduce the regression,
there should be a release note with the workaround documented.

I have a hard time mapping this to the  Jira priorities which say:
Blocker
    Blocks development and/or testing work, production could not run
Critical
    Crashes, loss of data, severe memory leak.

How should I mark priority on these issues?

A couple of examples:

DERBY-765 : Valid query fails with ERROR X0A00: The select list mentions
column 'A' twice...
This is a regression that I think we sadly have to let in but don't
think we should release 10.2 until this has a comprehensive release note
and workaround documented.

DERBY-1554: IDENTITY_VAL_LOCAL() returned value is modified incorrectly
by a multi-row INSERT statement.
This is a regression from the fix for DERBY-353.  This one I think
should definitely be fixed for 10.2