db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Influencing the standards which govern Derby
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2006 22:07:06 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:

> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>
>> How do we expect to influence the DRDA spec?
>>
> I don't know. But  it sure would be nice to see some  simple things
> added to support JDBC.   Here are a few example concerns.
> There seems to be  no protocol for
> -  Negotiating client locale up front for message text.  We use stored
> procedures  to retrieve message text.
> - Closing a prepared statement.  DERBY-210 remains open for this reason.
> - Retrieving database metadata. Again we use stored procedures.
> - Sending  protocol for Statement level settings like setQueryTimeout. I
> forget what our workaround here was but certainly Derby specific.
>
> So it certainly would be nice to see these things addressed in the spec.

Though if one can use the existing specification and acheive the same
functionality, it might be better to continue to build above the spec,
rather than force items into it. For example, are they any issues with
using procedures for database meta data, what benefits would we get from
 pushing functionality into the spec? Seems like from the JDBC driver
it's a request which results in a set of rows, which is obviously
already handled by the spec.

Dan.