db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Influencing the standards which govern Derby
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2006 20:54:06 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> How do we expect to influence the DRDA spec?

I don't know. But  it sure would be nice to see some  simple things
added to support JDBC.   Here are a few example concerns.
There seems to be  no protocol for
-  Negotiating client locale up front for message text.  We use stored
procedures  to retrieve message text.
- Closing a prepared statement.  DERBY-210 remains open for this reason.
- Retrieving database metadata. Again we use stored procedures.
- Sending  protocol for Statement level settings like setQueryTimeout. I
forget what our workaround here was but certainly Derby specific.

So it certainly would be nice to see these things addressed in the spec.

Kathey