db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Influencing the standards which govern Derby
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2006 19:10:02 GMT
I would like to understand how the community influences the standards
which govern Derby:

1) SQL - I've been participating in Derby for a year now. Over the past
year I don't recall any discussion about a need to change the SQL
standard. We have proposed new language in rare cases not covered by the
ANSI volumes. However, I don't recall any attempt to contact the SQL
group and try to change their spec. Do we need to influence this spec
and if so, how do we propose to do so?

2) JDBC - There has been substantial discussion about the upcoming JDBC4
spec.. Fortunately for us, the spec lead is a member of our community.
In several cases he has taken our viewpoint back to the JDBC expert
group and advocated our position. However, we don't know who will lead
the expert group for JDBC5. How do we expect to influence the next rev
of JDBC?

3) DRDA - Over the last year, I failed to get a Boolean datatype into
the DRDA spec. This stemmed from the internal dynamics and pay-for-play
nature of the spec's governing body, the DBIOP Consortium. How do we
expect to influence the DRDA spec?

If there's a general solution which covers all of these cases, that's
great. If we handle each spec differently, that's fine too. I'd just
like some discussion and guidance.

View raw message