db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DERBY-396: Drop Column dependency questions
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 18:18:41 GMT
Mamta Satoor wrote:

> I think in RESTRICT mode, revoking the privileges should be done as one of
> the last steps, ie after we have checked for dependent objects. If there
> are
> dependent objects. DROP COLUMN RESTRICT will fail. If there are no
> dependent
> objects, then revoke privileges should simply work because there
> couldn't be
> any objects dependent on those privileges at this point in the code. And I
> tend to agree with Dan that DROP COLUMN RESTRICT shouldn't throw exception
> just because there are privileges granted on it. If there are no objects
> based on those privileges, it should be fine to REVOKE them. But, I haven't
> looked at the spec to verify this behavior.

Just to be clear if an object is dependent on a column level privilege
then it should already be dependent on the column itself. There should
be no need to go through the list of privileges to see what objects are
dependent on them.

And of course with the dependency system it's no so much that code
checks for dependent objects, more that code fires off an invalidation
event (makeInvalid call) and the dependents either handle it or throw an
exception to stop it.

Dan.