db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: DERBY-396: Drop Column dependency questions
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 16:32:34 GMT
Hi Mamta, thank you for investigating this.

> DROP COLUMN will also need to see if there are any privileges granted on
> it and if yes, then those privileges should be revoked.

That makes sense to me, too.

I am proposing to have the ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN statement call the
already-existing code in AlterTableConstantAction.java, specifically
the dropColumnFromTable() method.

I am proposing to implement both CASCADE and RESTRICT, using the existing
cascade/restrict functionality in the dropColumnFromTable() method.

So I think that we just need to add the appropriate code to this method
for privileges, and then we should be fine. It sounds like we need some
code which looks for privileges granted on this column, and if there are
any, then if this is RESTRICT, throw an exception, otherwise automatically
revoke those privileges.

And add new tests, of course :)

Does this sound right to you?

thanks,