db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: behavior of Statement.getGeneratedKeys()
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 04:33:19 GMT
Somehow I managed to get into a side conversation with Lance,  in the
follow up of this.  I am not sure how I did it with my mailer, but I
responded directly to him. Below is my response to Lance which is
relevant to this issue.  I will send a separate mail with additional
follow-up which changed topics..

My response.....

Lance J. Andersen wrote:

> Understand, the original intent  of this thread was also to try and
> understand why this behavior was there and know i know.

I am sorry I didn't clarify this properly. For some reason I actually
had thought I had but looking back at the thread I don't see it.  I
guess I just thought  everyone knows this by now. Before there was talk
of contributing the Cloudscape code to Apache, there was an effort to
make Cloudscape compatible with DB2 and  that is the reason for this
behavior.  I don't think it is relevant to Derby's current decisions
except in cases like this where changing it might impact existing
users.  Also any general impact on the ability to migrate to other
databases as defined by our charter
http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_charter.html might sometimes be a
consideration I think.

Kathey