db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Google SOC:MySQL to Derby Migration tool design question
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 03:32:21 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:

> I'm all for helping out other projects, but IMHO Derby could really use
> this migration tool.  We could let the DDL team know these issues exist,
> participate in discussions with them, while at the same time scratching
> our own itch and getting a migration tool done before Ramin disappears...

I guess I was assuming that Derby would continue to get the tool even if
some of the code was contributed to DDL utils, as the tool would use
ddlutils.

Seems Ramin is getting a good view of open source. :-)

Options seem to be ...

  - Add code to Derby that might be better suited to the charter of our
sister DB project, ddlutils. Will the community reject it as outside the
charter, or not in the best interests of Apache?

  - Add code to ddlutils and Derby and have to deal with two communities
and no mentor in the ddlutils project.

I do think we should treat any submission by a Google summer of code
student as any other contribution and not take any shortcuts, decisions
against the charter or not in the best interest of the Apache DB project
or Apache itself.

One possible outcome is that Ramin completes the code, it's submitted to
Derby attached to a Jira entty, but the portions that are ddlutils
relevant get committed there and the derby specific code here. (Someone
would have to drive that though).

And hopefully the whole GoogleSoC experience is so good that Ramin
continues to be involved in Derby and other open source projects rather
than just "disappearing" at the end of the GoogleSoC.

Thanks,
Dan.