db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Satheesh Bandaram <banda...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Google SOC:MySQL to Derby Migration tool design question
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2006 21:13:39 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>Isn't the point of Google summer of code to introduce students to open
>source development, and this switch to ddlutils and additonal community
>involvement is typical of open source? Scratch your own itch but also
>benefit the community as well.
I am all for contributing code to ddlUtil. Only question is should we
develop these modules for Derby *first* in a generic way and then
contribute (modified version) ddlUtil or directly modify ddlUtil and
hope they will include it quickly enough for Ramin to use in his tool.
>From what I understand he has another month to complete his migration
tool. He may or may not have any time to work on this after that point.
While ddlUtil may accept code from Ramin, they may want to make it work
on their supported platforms before they include it in their
distribution. They also have multiple ways to invoke ddlUtils and need
to store database schema in Turbine XML form. So, there may be much more
additional work that is needed before contribution from Ramin could be
seen an complete.

View raw message