db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Korneliussen <Andreas.Kornelius...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Choice of JMX implementations
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2006 20:21:02 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> Andrew McIntyre wrote:
>
>>If the goal is to repackage any of these, I'm not sure that will be
>>possible with any of the following, except for Apache Commons
>>Modelling, but is that actually an implementation?
>>
>>For information on compatibility of other open source licenses with
>>the ASL, see: http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html
>>
>>On 7/13/06, Sanket Sharma <sanketsharma@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>         4. MX4J
>>
>>This has a modified BSD license with an advertising clause, and a
>>restriction to downstream projects on naming. Not that we'd ever name
>>our project MX4J, but it's an extra restriction that isn't in the ASL,
>>so we might need to get a determination from legal-discuss on whether
>>this is acceptable to redistribute.
>

> here's one precedent for using MX4J at apache (and there might be more):
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/hivemind/hivemind-jmx/setupJMXImplementation.html

They are using it for development, and testing. However the users need
to  download mx4j themselves, or download another JMX implementation, or
use java 5.

See http://jakarta.apache.org/hivemind/hivemind-jmx/quickstart.html

I downloaded hivemind-1-1-1, and could not find any redistribution of
mx4j there.

Andreas