db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: prioritized 10.2 bug list
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2006 04:49:54 GMT
        Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> On 7/12/06, Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@sun.com> wrote:
>
>> People have targetted bugs for fixing in 10.2 but haven't assigned
>> the bugs to themselves. What does this mean? It could mean any of the
>> following:

[snip many different things it  may or may not mean]

I think Jira is a communication tool,  so  Fix Version  (and all the
other fields) should mean the same thing to everyone so reports have
meaning.

I would like to see:

10.2 Assigned issues and Critical/Blocker issues are ones that we plan
to fix for the release
10.2 Unassigned issues are  issues that members of the community think
would offer a high return on time investment and can reasonably be fixed
before the release.

This would require a lot of iterative maintenance  by the community to
push unassigned  issues off as  the release comes nearer and they are no
longer realistic, but that could serve as a  good form of community bug
review I think.   For   the 10.1.3 release I started the page
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/HighValueFixCandidates to help
facilitate community bug review, but this is kind of a pain to maintain
(you can see no one has updated it for 10.2 yet and some of those bugs
are fixed).   The comments with justification and reasoning could be
moved to the comment when the issue is changed to 10.2.

Thoughts?

Kathey

Note the High Value Fix Definition  is below.  This could be refined

Members of the development community and those involved in support and
QA can list fixes that they see as giving a potentially high return on
time investment based on:

    *

      Frequency and likelihood the issue might be hit by users.

    *

      Estimated difficulty of fix.

    *

      Risk to existing users if the fix is implemented.

    *

      Severity of the issue.

    *

      Availability of a workaround.

    *

      The amount of user/developer time is wasted by the issue.