db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Patch review and turnaround as 10.2 approaches
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2006 17:28:54 GMT
In almost every feature release I have been involved in,   folks start
having trouble getting reviews in the final push as everyone scrambles
to get their own work done.   Add to that the fact that we do a
generally horrible job in keeping up with patches especially for
independent contributors who are expected to wait  months for review; we
are headed for trouble.  I think we will see a situation where  actual
completed fixes will be left out of the release because they are
ignored.  And that is bad for Derby.

I would like to propose that every active  developer  registered in Jira
  make efforts to reduce the patch backlog by trying to do something to
move along at least 2 patches outside of our  personal 10.2 line items
each week.    See:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/PatchListMaintenance

and in general work to improve patch throughput by  heeding the advice at:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/PatchAdvice

Critical to avoiding  fixes being left behind will be getting reviews
from outside the committer base and  even just folks trying out patches
for fix verification if they don't know the code.    If a change has
been tried out  and reviewed before a committer looks at it,  it can get
in much, much, faster.

Thanks

Kathey