db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: behavior of Statement.getGeneratedKeys()
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:04:06 GMT
I'd like to try to summarize where I think the discussion stands:

1) Lance, our JDBC expert, has confirmed that this is not a compliance
problem. That means this is not a bug.

2) Lance would like to change the behavior of
Statement.getGeneratedKeys(). Currently this method always returns a
ResultSet whose column has the canonical type DECIMAL( 31, 0). He would
like this method to return a ResultSet whose column type changes
depending on the type of the actual autogenerated column in the affected
table; that is, the column could have type SMALLINT, INT, or BIGINT.

3) It does not seem that this change would have a very big impact on
customers. At least, we have not been able to imagine how this would
impact customers adversely. However, this is just theory and we have not
polled the user community yet.

So what do we think?

A) Does anyone prefer the current behavior over Lance's proposed behavior?

B) Does this kind of change violate our policies for minor releases?

C) Are there other objections to this change?

D) Would we like to poll the user community now?

Regards,
-Rick