db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Language based matching
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:01:07 GMT
Bernt M. Johnsen wrote:

> "aa" as one letter was removed from the Norwegian language in 1938 ("å"
> had been optional since 1917). It is only used in names today and it is
> true what Anders says about the phonebook (also about the foreign names
> where "aa" is treated like two letters). I don't think it would be wise
> to not let "a.*" match "Aasen" (wich in modern writing would be Åsen).

I think Kathey was just using this as an example of how the LIKE
operator can be different when using locale based collation.

I would hope that Derby or a workaround would use the locale collation
alrady provided by Java and not set up a home-grown scheme. Thus the
rules for aa in Norwegian would come from the JDK.

Dan.