db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: behavior of Statement.getGeneratedKeys()
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 05:10:39 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> [...]
Reading from the JDBC 3.0 and JDBC  4.0 spec it seems clear to me that
we are not compliant and if non-compliance is a bug, this is  a bug.
   The spec says: "Calling ResultSet.getMetaData on the ResultSet object
returned by getGeneratedKeys will produce a ResultSetMetaData object
that can be used to determine the number, type and properties of the
generated keys."

Of course debate continues,  but I think it would be first good to
objectively assess what JDBC calls might be affected.    Perhaps
whomever is considering making this change could do  a  thorough
analysis and present it to the community. After that we could use this
issue as a test case for  our goal  at
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ForwardCompatibility  as we look at
potential risk and what level of consultation is needed with the user
community for the change and when it is appropriate.  It should be a
good test as our current documented behavior and the spec are at odds.

Kathey