db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Issue with using dependency manager for table level permission tracking
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 01:20:08 GMT
Mamta Satoor wrote:

> That is on my todo list to figure out when I do the revoke privilege
> implementation. But I am thinking that when a revoke privilege is
> processed,
> before dropping the dependent objects, a check will be made to see if some
> other privilege can replace the privilege being revoked and if so, then
> make
> the objects depend on the newly found privilege. I have not spent enough
> time yet to figure out exactly how I would code this.

I think it's very much tied up with the question you are asking.

One can use the dependency system as either:

 - Specific items (permissions) have been changed/dropped and the
dependent (the view) needs to take specific action (e.g. check the
select priv for public if select priv for user has been revoked)

 - Something the dependent (the view) depends on has changed and so the
view needs to re-verify itself, which could be recompiling successfully,
or being dropped.

The dependency system will just perform a callback on the dependent with
an action type, it's up to the dependent to decide what to do with that
information.

Dan.