db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: behavior of Statement.getGeneratedKeys()
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2006 20:24:35 GMT
Hi Kathey,

My gut feeling is that changing this behavior could affect applications
like ij which make formatting decisions based on the JDBC types of
returned columns.

Kathey Marsden wrote:

> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>
>> Before filing a bug on this, I'd like the community's advice:
>>
>> 1) Is this a bug? Should Statement.getGeneratedKeys() return a
>> ResultSet whose column has the same type as the underyling
>> autogenerated column?
>>
>> 2) If this is a bug, is it permitted to change this behavior in a
>> minor release?
>>
> I can't say if it is a bug or not, but with regard to 2, I wonder:
> What  usage cases would benefit from changing it?

This would help customers who want to get the type of a table's
generated key from getGeneratedKeys() itself and not have to extract
this information from a more complicated series of metadata calls.

> What usage cases would be impacted negatively if it were changed?

This would break applications which expect getGeneratedKeys() to return
a ResultSet whose canonical shape doesn't change regardless of the key
type of the underlying table.