db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Korneliussen <Andreas.Kornelius...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Writing language tests using JUnit.
Date Sat, 08 Jul 2006 12:38:57 GMT

>> b) I take it DerbyJUnitTest is deprecated. This class does have some
>> useful
>> methods like assertRow/assertScalar etc which I will need. Is it OK to
>> copy
>> these methods and/or add similar utility methods in BaseJDBCTestCase?
>

> Yes, you should feel free to add any utility methods to
> BaseJDBCTestCase that you find useful, and feel free to copy any
> methods from DerbyJUnitTest over that you need. Note that there are
> two Base classes, BaseTestCase and BaseJDBCTestCase. I'm not sure I'm
> entirely clear on the split, it might be best to review the discussion
> on the list surrounding their creation and separation. I think generic
> configuration and utility methods go into BaseTestCase and utility
> methods for exercising JDBC methods go into BaseJDBCTestCase. So
> something like assertRow() in DerbyJUnitTest would probably go into
> BaseJDBCTestCase, whereas something like println() or alarm() would go
> into BaseTestCase.

Agree.
One of the reasons we chose to split BaseTestCase and BaseJDBCTestCase
is that BaseTestCase could be used to write tests which do not use
the JDBC interface (i.e to write store tests or other types of unit
tests), and there is no need for the jdbc helper methods in those
subclasses.

When moving methods into BaseJDBCTestCase be careful of not including
stuff that may break all junit tests from running in the j9/j2me
framework. We have previously seen tests failing to load in the j9/j2me
framework because some methods had signatures with classes which are not
available in that framework (like XADataSource ?).

--Andreas