db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DERBY-396: Does it make sense to break this into multiple sub-tasks?
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2006 21:56:38 GMT
Bryan Pendleton wrote:

> I'm thinking that it would make sense to break DERBY-396 down into
> multiple sub-tasks. I think this would make it easier to track and
> monitor incremental progress in this area over time.
>
> I am thinking that the following list would be a reasonable set of
> sub-tasks to file.
>
> 1) drop column
> 2) rename column
> 3) change column from null to not null, or vice versa
> 4) change column default value
> 5) change column datatype
>
> Does it sound like a good plan to file 5 JIRA sub-tasks per the above?

Yes, except that the jira sub-task mechanism is not very flexible. Are
these really sub-tasks or related but independent features? I would say
the latter, which would mean 5 independent issues in Jira. They can
always be linked to DERBY-396 in Jira.

Dan.
(My concern of sub-tasks is that they don't appear as bugs or features
in reports, and it's impossible to change a sub-task to be something
else). I fixed a bug which had a sub-task which was really a separate
bug, once I fixed the bug, the sub-task did not appear on the open bug
report, I had to enter a new bug report to ensure that someone might
pick it up one day.)