db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Derby Regression Search And Destroy Competition
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2006 18:22:34 GMT
Well we've been putting features into 10.2 for a year now and  from all
indications we want to make a commitment to compatibility.
the Forward Compatibility Guidelines [1] say:

"The goal is to allow any application written against the public
interfaces of an older version of Derby to run, without any changes,
against a newer version of Derby..... (changes that break existing
applications)  should be a deliberate choice by the community, not by
accident"

But the trouble is we don't really test compatibility at all well and
sometimes tests are changed to adapt to new behavior and we don't really
catch the impact to users at the time, so in fact I don't think that
all  the behavior changes in 10.2 are a conscious decision as they
should be.

So, inspired by the Mustang Regression Challenge [2] I would like to
introduce the *"Derby Regression Search and Destroy Competition*".  This
competition, in addition to finding regressions,  will also
incorporate  fixing any regressions that are found.  The winners will be:

 "The top three developers or users who have  made the greatest
contribution toward a seamless upgrade to 10.2."

If folks think this is a good idea, I will put up a Wiki for the
competition, but here are the general guidelines:

1)   Any action that exposes or resolves existing regressions, improves
Derby compatibility with previous releases, or improves our
documentation of known differences in 10.2 is considered.  Below are a
few examples:
    a) Find a  new  product regression from a previous Derby release and
log it in Jira.
    b) Correct the derby info for existing issues to mark them as
"Regression"  if they are a regression from 10.1 or "Existing
Application Impact" and "Release Note Needed"  if they were intentional
changes that might affect existing applications.
    c) Fix a product regression.
2)  Three winners are chosen  August 10 by  impartial volunteer
judge(s)  whose decision is binding.
3)  The winners get organic chocolate  and  of course glory and huge
amounts of merit.  (Contribution of other prizes is welcome, but
wouldn't want to make the stakes so high the lawyers need get involved).

Anyone else have ideas on this?  Would anyone like to volunteer as
judge?  Judges would have to exempt themselves from the competition.

Kathey

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ForwardCompatibility
[2] https://mustang.dev.java.net/regchal/