db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Myrna van Lunteren (JIRA)" <derby-...@db.apache.org>
Subject [jira] Commented: (DERBY-625) hang in unit/cacheService.unit with wctme5.7
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2006 18:23:30 GMT
    [ http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-625?page=comments#action_12419766 ] 

Myrna van Lunteren commented on DERBY-625:
------------------------------------------

I have also seen this with a 64 bit ibm 1.4.2 jvm, which - as indicated by java -version -
uses the same j9 v 2.2 as a base. The problem does not occur with the ibm15 on this same machine,
so no need to do anything further.
The jvm version that showed the behavior:
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 2.2)
IBM J9SE VM (build 2.2, J2RE 1.4.2 IBM J9 2.2 Linux amd64-64 j9xa64142-20050609
(JIT enabled)
J9VM - 20050524_1742_LHdSMr
JIT  - r7_level20050518_1803)



> hang in unit/cacheService.unit with wctme5.7
> --------------------------------------------
>
>          Key: DERBY-625
>          URL: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-625
>      Project: Derby
>         Type: Bug

>     Versions: 10.1.1.0, 10.2.0.0
>  Environment: windows with wctme5.7 (j9 version 2.2)
>     Reporter: Myrna van Lunteren
>     Priority: Minor
>  Attachments: j9_22_hang.breakout
>
> Test unit/cacheService.unit hangs with wctme5.7 jvm since June...
> Can someone familiar with services please have a look?
> The hang was not noticed in a timely fashion because our scripts only run with wctme5.7
once a week, 
> and for 3 months, our nightly tests took too long to complete - and no one paid attention
(me included).
> I've done some historical research on this, but am no closer to deciding if this is a
jvm bug exposed by changed derby functionality or a 'new' derby bug exposed by the wctme5.7
(j9 version 2.2) jvm.
> Efforts are hampered by 
> - absence of commit archive details between June 13 and July 1
> - svn cannot backtrack to revisions that happened during incubator time
> This is what I found so far:
> - in main
> 	- the test ran fine on 6/18/2005, but failed on 6/25/2005.
> 	- From saved commits emails, it appears relevant revisions are between  191353 (jean)
>           and 201792 (kathey), jean's are all dita related,  2 of kathey's are functionTests
only changes.
> 	  This leaves the following 2
> 		201792 - kmarsden - DERBY-389,
> 		  incubator/derby/code/trunk/java/engine/org/apache/derby/impl/sql/conn/GenericLanguageConnectionContext.java
> 		191755 - kmarsden - DERBY-8 and DERBY-366; mostly test/master updates, but additionally
changed:
> 		 incubator/derby/code/trunk/java/engine/org/apache/derby/iapi/jdbc/BrokeredConnection.java
> 		 incubator/derby/code/trunk/java/engine/org/apache/derby/iapi/jdbc/BrokeredConnection30.java
> 	- I backtracked the changes from these revisions but still the hang persists...
> 	
> 	
> - 10.1 
> 	- I tested build 224373 and 208786 and the could reproduce the hang; but 
> 	  with build 190628 (which happened to be stting around on my machine) there was no
hang.
> 	  Thus, with 10.1 branch, the problem was introduced/backported between revision
> 	  190628 and revision 208786.
> 	 - Looking at a combination of the commit archive for July and my saved commit emails,
again, most of these are innocent test or dita updates.
> 	 - The following are more interesting:
> 		- 201659 - satheesh - DERBY-388 - 
> 		incubator/derby/code/branches/10.0/java/engine/org/apache/derby/impl/sql/GenericPreparedStatement.java
> 		- 208697 - dan - cleanup of published javadoc for embedded jdbc objects
> 		   incubator/derby/code/branches/10.1/java/engine/org/apache/derby/jdbc/EmbeddedConnectionPoolDataSource.java
> 		   incubator/derby/code/branches/10.1/java/engine/org/apache/derby/jdbc/EmbeddedDataSource.java
> 		   incubator/derby/code/branches/10.1/java/engine/org/apache/derby/jdbc/EmbeddedDriver.java
> 		   incubator/derby/code/branches/10.1/java/engine/org/apache/derby/jdbc/EmbeddedSimpleDataSource.java
> 		   incubator/derby/code/branches/10.1/java/engine/org/apache/derby/jdbc/EmbeddedXADataSource.java
> 		- 208776 - andrew - monster commit backport fixes for DERBY-8, DERBY-247, DERBY-276,

> 		  DERBY-348, DERBY-354,DERBY-361, DERBY-366, DERBY-389, DERBY-405, DERBY-416, and DERBY-420
>  	- I tried to backtrack my 10.1 branch to revision 208775, but that resulted in:
> 		svn: REPORT request failed on '/repos/asf/!svn/vcc/default'
> 		svn:
> 		Cannot replace a directory from within
> In short, historical research has gotten me nowhere.
> I looked at the stack of the threads when the program is hanging but it tells me nothing
either.
> I will attached the stack threads obtained by running the following command:
>   j9 -jcl:max -Xbootclasspath/p:c:/ive22/lib/database_enabler.jar;c:ive22/lib/classes.zip
org.apache.derbyTesting.unitTests.harness.UnitTestMain 
>  on windows and subsequently pressing ctrl-break, and derby.log
> Note: this problem does not occur with wsdd5.6 (j9 version 2.1). The test never runs/ran
with j9foundation (also wctme5.7).	

-- 
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
-
If you think it was sent incorrectly contact one of the administrators:
   http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Administrators.jspa
-
For more information on JIRA, see:
   http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira


Mime
View raw message