db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "A B (JIRA)" <derby-...@db.apache.org>
Subject [jira] Updated: (DERBY-688) Enhancements to XML functionality to move toward XPath/XQuery support...
Date Tue, 18 Jul 2006 22:29:14 GMT
     [ http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-688?page=all ]

A B updated DERBY-688:
----------------------

    Attachment: d688_phase1_v1.patch
                d688_phase1_v1.stat

Attaching a "phase 1" patch, d688_phase1_v1.patch, for this issue that does the following:

  1. Reorganizes XML-specific code as follows:

    - Moves all code that relies on JAXP and Xalan classes
      out of XML.java and into a new class, SqlXmlUtil.java.
      See comments at the beginning of SqlXmlUtil for an
      explanation of why this was done.

    - Creates a new class, SqlXmlExecutor, in the impl.sql.execute
      package that serves as the class on which all XML operator
      calls are generated.  Ex. for XMLEXISTS, instead of
      generating:

         <xmlOperand>.XMLExists(<query-expr>, xmlOperand)

      we now generate:

         <SqlXmlExecutor>.XMLSerialize(<query-expr>, xmlOperand)

      Along with making the code cleaner by allowing all
      XML operator calls to be defined in the same class,
      this new class has other benefits, as well--see
      comments at the beginning of SqlXmlExecutor for
      more of an explanation.

  2. Changes implementation of XPath from XSLT processing to
     the low-level Xalan API, which is faster, more flexible,
     and better for implementation of the XMLQUERY operator
     (the XMLQUERY operator will be coming in subsequent
     phases).  Note that as part of this change I've removed
     the dependency on an explicit declaration of Xerces
     as the parser; Derby will now pick up the parser from
     the JVM (i.e. this patch resolves DERBY-567).

  3. Makes a small change to the XMLEXISTS operator to bring
     it more in line with SQL/XML spec.  More specifically, 
     the query expression that is specified must now be a string
     literal; parameters and other expressions are not allowed.

  4. Updates the XML test and master files (lang/xml_general.sql
     and lang/xmlBinding.java) to bring them in sync with the latest
     Derby codeline.  Since the XML tests are not (yet) run
     as part of derbyall, the master files need to be updated
     to reflect some client/server changes that have gone into
     the codeline for 10.2 (for example, server pre-fetching
     behavior).

Of these changes the only one that is a functional change is #3; the rest are internal changes
that should have no external effect on the way the XML operators work.  They are important,
though, because they lay the groundwork for subsequent work as described in the HTML document
for this issue.

I did try to break the patch up into the different pieces outlined above, but after two days
of trying to undo my work for the sake of elegant, smaller patches, I decided the patch is
acceptable as it is (believe it or not, I did actually take a lot out of it already).   I'll
shoot for incremental development and smaller patches as I work on the subquent changes for
this issue...

I ran derbyall with an earlier version of this patch and there were no new failures.  The
latest version (which is the d688_phase1_v1.patch that I'm posting here) has some updates,
though, so I need to run derbyall again.

In the meantime, reviews/comments/feedback would be appreciated.

> Enhancements to XML functionality to move toward XPath/XQuery support...
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: DERBY-688
>                 URL: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-688
>             Project: Derby
>          Issue Type: Improvement
>          Components: JDBC, SQL
>            Reporter: A B
>         Assigned To: A B
>            Priority: Minor
>         Attachments: d688_phase1_v1.patch, d688_phase1_v1.stat, derbyXMLSpec.html
>
>
> As of DERBY-334, Derby has some very basic support for XML that consists of an XML datatype
and three operators (XMLPARSE, XMLSERIALIZE, and XMLEXISTS).  I would like to enhance this
existing functionality and, by doing so, help to move Derby incrementally toward a more usable
and more complete XPath/XQuery solution (with emphasis on "incrementally").
> I have attached to this issue a document describing the particular changes that I am
looking to make.  At a high level, they consist of:
> 1) Making it easier to use the XML operators and datatype from within JDBC (ex. by implicit
parsing/serialization of XML values).
> 2) Adding a new operator, XMLQUERY, to allow a user to retrieve the results of an XPath
expression (instead of just determining whether or not the expression evaluates to an empty
sequence, which is what XMLEXISTS does).
> 3) Making changes to the existing operators to line them up with the SQL/XML 2005 specification,
and also to take steps toward my eventual hope of having support for XQuery (as opposed to
just XPath) in Derby.
> If anyone has time and interest enough to look at the document and provide feedback,
that'd be great...

-- 
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
-
If you think it was sent incorrectly contact one of the administrators: http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Administrators.jspa
-
For more information on JIRA, see: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira

        

Mime
View raw message