db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dyre.Tjeldv...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: Code formatting debate, confusion and wasted time , Has it gone on long enough?
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2006 16:53:58 GMT
Rodrigo Madera <rodrigo.madera@gmail.com> writes:

> So you vote on spaces or tabs anyway?

Spaces. But I think we have to live with both styles and mixed style
(shrug) for quite some time...

> On 6/9/06, Dyre.Tjeldvoll@sun.com <Dyre.Tjeldvoll@sun.com> wrote:
>> Rodrigo Madera <rodrigo.madera@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > One thing there is to learn from all this: Set standards BEFORE the
>> > project starts.
>>
>> Actually, it is not that simple. Derby opted to follow Sun's java
>> guidline which, believe it or not, says that if tabs are used, then the
>> tabwidth should be 4. Which, of course, is utterly brain-dead.

I'm told that this is no longer true, and maybe it was never intended,
but think that at some point this guideline could be _interpreted_ as
recommending tabwidth=4.

I understand that the rephrased guideline allows either tabs or
spaces, requires the indent level to be 4 spaces and tabwidth=8. Which
I find much more reasonable.

--
dt