db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Manish Khettry" <manish.khet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Google SoC: Derby Cache Manager
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2006 01:30:24 GMT
>From the graphs it does look like we can gain a little performance by
switching the cache replacement policy.  A few thoughts on the wiki page and
the work you've done so far.

Would it be possible to have pointers to papers that describe these
algorithms on the wiki page? I could find CAR (
http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/dmodha/clockfast.pdf) and 2Q (
http://www.vldb.org/conf/1994/P439.PDF) but not CART.

>From looking at the graphs, it looks like CART and 2Q are the two choices
really. However running a few more experiments may not be a bad idea. Knut
mentions adding scans to the zipf mix and that may be worthwhile. Actually
the original 2Q paper does mix scans of different lengths with one of the
zipf workload. Also given that the two seem to converge around 10K cache
size (or 10% of the dataset size), can we go upto 20 or 40% and see if one
policy is measurably better than the other?

If there isn't a whole lot of difference between the performance then it
makes sense to go with the simpler implementation and/or consider
synchronization concerns-- I'm guessing that 2Q (based on LRU) will involve
more synchronization than CART (Clock based).

Those papers and the your results were pretty interesting reading. I too am
curious about the zig-zag pattern on the zipf 0.8 dataset.

Thanks,
Manish