db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Myrna van Lunteren" <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: test harness and jvmoptions
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2006 17:27:47 GMT
On 6/21/06, Vemund Ostgaard <Vemund.Ostgaard@sun.com> wrote:
> Vemund Ostgaard wrote:
>
> > Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> >
> >> :-(
> >> The jvmflag passing is broken (not sure how well it ever worked).
> >> See also DERBY-1091.
> >> I intend to work on that this week...But it's a big can of worms.
> >>
> >> But try without the quotes...
> >

> > I looked a little at this code, and RunTest, RunList etc. Seems to me
> > that RunList places double quotes around the jvmflags, wether you have
> > done so or not, before passing it on to RunTest, where it is
> > eventually executed with Runtime.exec. If Runtime.exec had executed a
> > command shell (which again executed java) I guess the quotes would be
> > removed, but since it executes java directly they are not.
>
> I tried removing these added quotes (RunList line 385) and the
> -Djvmflags option works for me then, when running with Suns jvm 1.5 and
> using a single flag -d64.
>
> I guess the quotes work with the IBM java launcher, or it doesn't make
> sense that they were ever added. DERBY-1091 raises the issue that the
> passing of flags doesn't work with more than one flag, but for me it
> doesn't work with one flag either.
>
> Did you get around to looking closer at this Myrna?
>
> I would like to remove those quotes, but I guess they are there for a
> reason...
>
> Thanks,
> Vemund

Hi Vermund,

I've been looking at this issue in combination with DERBY-1091.
Fixing DERBY-1091 has proven more complicated than I thought, and I've
gotten sidetracked by 10.1.3 testing and now I've got hard disk
troubles...

But this particular issue is fixed by removing the quotes that are
being wrapped around the jvmflags in RunList.java.

So maybe the best way to proceed is to make a separate JIRA, modify
that one line in RunList.java that adds quotes - to no avail that I
can see because you still can't pass more than one flag on - and make
a patch with just that minor change...

Myrna