db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Myrna van Lunteren" <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject -Dij.<property> in doc should be -D<property> ?
Date Tue, 13 Jun 2006 00:44:35 GMT
Hi,

I was poking at the manual and I noticed that in the following:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/tools/ttoolsij30600.html
it is described that you can overwrite ij properties specified with
the -p <propertyfile> by using -Dij.<property>.

However, when I tried it, it looks as you need to specify
-D<property>, if you use the -Dij.<property> nothing happens.

For instance, if you create a file, myij.properties with contents:
---------
ij.maximumDisplayWidth=5
---------
and then start ij with -p the Displaywidth is indeed 5 instead of the
default (80, I believe, but whatever)
java org.apache.derby.tools.ij -p myij.properties
[...snip version...]
ij> connect 'jdbc:db2j:bladb';
ij> select * from sys.systables where tablename like 'SYSCOLUMN%';
TABL&|TABL&|&|SCHE&|&
---------------------
8000&|SYSC&|S|8000&|R

1 row selected
If I use -Dij.maximumDisplayWidth=15, the result is the same, but if I
use -DmaximumDisplayWidth=15, the display width changes.
-------------------------

So...
java org.apache.derby.tools.ij -p myij.properties
[...snip version...]
ij> connect 'jdbc:db2j:bladb';
ij> select * from sys.systables where tablename like 'SYSCOLUMN%';
TABLEID        |TABLENAME      |&|SCHEMAID       |&
8000001e-00d0-&|SYSCOLUMNS     |S|8000000d-00d0-&|R
1 row selected

I assume this is intended behavior, and a doc bug...
Can anyone confirm whether or not this is true for all ij properties
by looking at the code?
(Or I'll need to go an test all properties). I tried (ij.)database and
(ij.)maximumDisplayWidth...

Thx,
Myrna