db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Brian McCallister <bri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: catch-22: Derby, Mustang, and JCP issue
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2006 02:20:58 GMT

On Jun 22, 2006, at 7:09 PM, Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> "You cannot have a GA version of a JDBC 4 driver until JSR 221 goes
> final."
>
> Where does this restriction come from?

Until a spec is final I don't see how you can have a certified compliant
implementation of that spec. It might be as easy as not claiming JDBC
4.0
compliance until *after* JSR-221 is final, than saying, "huh, gee whiz,
we pass the TCK!"

If the interfaces happen to exist in a release before the spec is final,
well, cool. Folks using them are at risk of the spec changing at the
last
minute, so I would put bright red warnings around them if they are event
documented before the official release of the spec (not of Derby).

-Brian