db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: catch-22: Derby, Mustang, and JCP issue
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2006 21:11:34 GMT

> > In #2 of his proposed solution, Geir said he doesn't believe that
> > Derby qualifies as an implementation, and thus would not be affected
> > by the JSPA.
>
> I thought Geir's proposed solution was predicated on item 1)
>
> Geir wrote:
> > 1) Have Sun change the draft spec license for 221 from the current to
> > the new one that allows distribution with appropriate warning markings.
> >  I'm going to start working this line w/ the PMO and the JCP.
>
> Until the licence is changed we cannot ship a GA version of Derby with
> JDBC 4.0 code.

Then I'm confused, if we're not an implementation, thus not subject to
section 5 of the terms in the JSPA, and the copyright concerns w/r/t
the evaluation license are not an issue for us, then why does the spec
draft license need to change? Can somebody spell that out for me?

It certainly seems like changing the spec license is the right thing
to do to make everybody happy. So, can someone from Sun or JCP please
confirm that the draft spec license will in fact be changed?

I guess that, yes, we still cannot ship a GA version of Derby with the
JDBC 4 until another draft of the spec is posted with the new license
attached.

andrew