db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: catch-22: Derby, Mustang, and JCP issue
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2006 20:35:02 GMT

> Andrew McIntyre wrote:
>
> > Yes, because it is the RM as an individual that ultimately builds and
> > publishes the release as an official Apache release on behalf of the
> > ASF.
>
> Absolutely not.

Right, I know I should have put the PMC in there, too, sorry I left it
out. I understand that this is a very important legal distinction and
that the RM is just the messenger/agent of the PMC when it comes to
releasing software for the ASF.

> > True. But we're not talking about just anybody. If a member of the
> > Derby community does put together a release candidate (that would need
> > to report itself as a GA version) and publishes it on a website for
> > others to vote on, then the community could be held responsible.
>
> For what?

For violating the JSPA or the spec evaluation agreement as far as
creating/distributing an implementation, which is where people got the
idea that we couldn't publish a GA version of Derby that had JDBC 4.0
bits in it. Although it appears we've now determined that Derby has no
obligations with regard to these agreements as to when it can do a
release.

andrew