db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: catch-22: Derby, Mustang, and JCP issue
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2006 17:44:24 GMT
On 6/23/06, David Van Couvering <David.Vancouvering@sun.com> wrote:
>
> What happened to the proposal to vote and approve a GA-enabled release,
> but not make it actually available until Java SE 6 goes GA?  Did we
> decide this was not feasible?  I may have missed it, but I don't think I
> saw that discussion anywhere.

This point may have been lost in the discussion, but its still
important to address this, since this in fact was the original
proposal and I don't believe it's been directly addressed. From the
discussion, though, what I'm beginning to ascertain is that we
shouldn't do anything until the spec is final. But I'm curious what
Geir thinks about this particular option (vote + hold the release till
the spec is final).

The obvious problem here is if the spec changes between the date the
voting starts on a  release candidate and the date the spec is
finalized, you'll need to start over with a new RC. Not a terrible
option, but plenty of work for the RM, who will need to track changes
to the spec down to the last minute.

andrew

Mime
View raw message