db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: catch-22: Derby, Mustang, and JCP issue
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2006 17:37:43 GMT
> Andreas Korneliussen wrote:
> > Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> >
> > In this case, it is Rick (the release manager) who builds the RC, and
> > who makes it available before JDBC4 goes GA. I guess it would be up to
> > him to take the legal responsibility.

The RM for any Apache release is responsible for evaluating the
legalities of the situation surrounding a release and do what is
necessary to protect the ASF from legal action. See sections 4 and 8
of the ICLA.

> It's up to Rick? Excuse me but Apache is ultimately responsible for this
> release and, as a member of this community, I think it's irresponsible
> to not resolve any legal issues *before* a candidate is released. The
> last thing Derby needs is legal grief.

+1

Looks like, barring clarification by Sun what the spec license means
concerning applications that implement interfaces in a non-final JSR,
even in their own namespace, the Derby community shouldn't do anything
regarding a release with JDBC 4 - i would say not even post a release
candidate for a vote - until the JDBC 4 spec is final.

andrew