db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: catch-22: Derby, Mustang, and JCP issue
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2006 17:26:25 GMT

> > So, I can see any of the following things as possibilities:
> >
> > 1) The Derby community could release a 10.2.1.x minus the JDBC 4 bits
> > whenever it likes. Maybe even next week. :-)
> > 2) Sun releases a version of Derby with JDK 1.6 that reports as
> > 10.2.1.x and has upgrade enabled, however they want to do that.
> > Hopefully they get this right and it upgrades to the official 10.2.
>
> What does it mean "upgrade enabled"?

Derby's versioning mechanism prevents upgrading from anything with the
beta flag enabled or from a prerelease (x.x.0.x) version to a release
version (x.x.1.x). See
http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/versionupgrade.html

> > 3) Once the JDBC 4 spec is final, the Derby community could release
> > 10.2.(1|2).x + JDBC 4 bits pretty much any time it feels it is ready.
> >
> > Regarding (1) and (3), I believe I've seen comments to the effect that
> > there are members of the Derby community that would object to adding
> > the JDBC 4 feature set in a maintenance release (which would be the
> > 10.1.2 in (3) ) which supposedly would not contain any new features.
>
> Could you simply uptick the version as appropriate when JDBC4 is finally
> added?

I think that would be the 1 + 3 option that Dan objects to further
down and which I mentioned already has negative support in the
community. If you mean go to 10.3, well, yes, that is also an option,
but there was some negative feedback there as well about having two
major feature releases within a span of a couple of months.

andrew