db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DERBY_INSTALL and DERBY_HOME
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2006 06:51:58 GMT
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> > DERBY_INSTALL is what has been in place.
> >
> > If I remember right, DERBY_HOME was to be introduced in 10.2 to conform
> > to the usage of other Apache projects. And I bet there's even a Jira
> > issue for that ... I'll post a followup when I find it (unless somebody
> > beats me to it).

As of the fix for DERBY-1082, you can now use either the DERBY_INSTALL
or DERBY_HOME environment variable with the scripts to set the
location of your Derby installation. I left DERBY_INSTALL in the
scripts for compatibility reasons, although internally the scripts
just set DERBY_HOME to the value of DERBY_INSTALL if that is set and
if DERBY_HOME is not also set.

I also standardized the use of JAVA_HOME in the scripts with the
change for DERBY-1082. Setting JAVA_HOME is now required, whereas
previously some scripts required JAVA_HOME and some scripts required
that the java executable be on your path. There is an outstanding
documentation change related to that which is filed as DERBY-1223.

For 10.2, I think we should standardize on DERBY_HOME, and consider
DERBY_INSTALL to be deprecated. A release note to this effect should
be added, especially if the new scripts proposed in DERBY-1032 are
accepted. The relevant sections of the documentation that refer to the
DERBY_INSTALL variable should be changed. As for the default
installation directory, I think that the example in the manual was
meant to be a suggestion, not an actual value. Additionally, the
wording in the Developer's Guide is actually incorrect, since Derby
does not have an installer.

I have several other ideas for DERBY-1032, I'll post them to that JIRA
issue so that others can comment on them.

andrew